Deputy Director Internal Market Division
Do you want to be a part of an ambitious international organisation working for the promotion of free trade and economic integration? The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) offers the opportunity for a motivated and highly skilled professional to join the Internal Market Division in Brussels.
EFTA is an intergovernmental organisation working for the promotion of free trade and economic integration to the benefit of its four Member States; Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States and has offices in Geneva, Brussels and Luxemburg. The Headquarters in Geneva services the EFTA Council and provides services for policy development, negotiations and implementation of free trade and cooperation agreements with countries outside the European Union. The Brussels office supports the management of the EEA Agreement and assists the Member States in the elaboration of input to EU decision-making. EFTA’s Luxembourg office contributes to the development of the European Statistical system.
The Internal Market Division of the Secretariat is responsible for serving the EEA EFTA States in their work related to the EEA Agreement. This entails both monitoring and influencing legislation in process on the EU side and facilitating timely incorporation of adopted EEA relevant legislation into the EEA Agreement.
We are looking for a highly motivated and qualified candidate to take on the challenging post of Deputy Director of the Internal Market Division, assisting the Director in managing the daily work of the division and assisting colleagues and the EFTA States in coordinating and facilitating the work related to the management of the EEA Agreement.
The tasks of the Deputy Director mainly include:
- Coordinating and advising division on tasks related to the management of the EEA Agreement. This requires maintaining a good overview of ongoing issues in different policy areas;
- Ensuring excellent services to Subcommittees I-IV of the Standing Committee of the EFTA States;
- Cooperation with and assistance to the Director on all matters - Acting in the absence of the Director;
- Contributing to horizontal projects as needed – Coordinating IMD input to relevant documents and reports within the EFTA Secretariat;
- Advisory role on internal procedures for processing EU acts for incorporation into the EEA Agreement;
- Training on internal processes and sharing best practices within IMD - Introduction/training for new staff members;
- Participation in recruitment processes.
- Relevant university degree, minimum master's level;
- Top notch interpersonal and communication skills, enthusiastic, highly motivated and able to take initiative;
- Solid knowledge of the EEA Agreement and the procedures for incorporating EU acts into the EEA Agreement;
- Relevant and good work experience in a national administration, international organisation and/or related private sector activity;
- Leadership potential and an enthusiasm for continuously developing in this area;
- Excellent organisational skills, thoroughness and attention to detail;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Working knowledge of at least one of the EFTA languages;
- Knowledge of the EU institutions, policies and procedures;
- Good understanding of the EFTA structure and organisation;
- Previous management experience.
EFTA has a dynamic and diverse work environment with the opportunity to work in a team of highly qualified people. Here you will be part of an organisation based on professionalism, cooperation, trust, responsibility and respect.
EFTA also offers:
- International career and learning opportunities.
- An inclusive environment with high regard for cultural differences.
- Competitive benefit package.
Annual salary: EUR 125,458
Appointments are normally made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the EFTA Secretariat wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
EFTA is an international organisation, and the salaries and related payments are normally exempt from income taxation by the EFTA Member States and in the host states of the EFTA duty stations. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
This position is open to nationals of all the EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland). Applicants must apply via the EFTA e-recruitment tool. Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
For further information on this post, please contact:
On substance: Ms Marit Schage Andria, Director of IMD, firstname.lastname@example.org , tel. +32 2 28 61 740
On process: Ms Inga Hanna Gudmundsdottir, Head of HR, email@example.com, tel. +32 2 286 17 06
Technical issues: HR Support, HR.firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: Sunday 11 June 2023