Legal Officer Internal Market Division (IMD)
The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is an intergovernmental organisation set up for the promotion of free trade and economic integration between its four Member States: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States. In Brussels this entails support in the management of the EEA Agreement.
Applicants must be nationals of one of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).
The Internal Market Division (IMD) is responsible for support and assistance to the EFTA States in their work related to the incorporation of EU legislative acts into the EEA Agreement. The Division coordinates the work of Subcommittees I-IV and the several working groups thereunder that consist of experts from the EFTA States, covering all EU policy areas falling within the scope of the EEA Agreement.
IMD consists of 22 staff members, including 3 legal officers.
The Legal Officers in IMD report to the Director of IMD. They are also part of EFTA Secretariat’s EEA legal team. The three legal officers in IMD are responsible for drafting Decisions of the EEA Joint Committee incorporating EEA relevant EU legal acts into the EEA Agreement.
We are looking for a highly motivated and qualified candidate to take on the challenging post as Legal Officer in IMD. The successful candidate will play an important role in IMD, cooperating closely with and providing legal advice to colleagues and to the EEA EFTA States.
The main tasks of the successful applicant will be to:
- provide legal services and advice to the EEA EFTA States and colleagues in IMD within a wide selection of policy areas covered by the EEA Agreement
- draft Decisions of the EEA Joint Committee incorporating EEA-relevant EU legal acts into the EEA Agreement
- draft legal and explanatory notes related to the management of the EEA Agreement
- cooperate closely with the IMD policy officers, administrative coordinators, Registrar and other members of EFTA’s EEA legal team
- cooperate closely with Ministries in the EEA EFTA States, the EFTA Missions to the EU and EU counterparts regarding the incorporation of EU legislation into the EEA Agreement
- contribute to EFTA’s outreach activities, sharing knowledge and building competence on how the EEA Agreement functions and its legal implications, by giving presentations and seminars.
The successful candidate should be flexible and willing to take on other tasks, including non-legal and administrative tasks, as required, and depending on the workload and needs within IMD.
- University Degree in Law
- A postgraduate degree in European Union law would be an asset.
- Minimum three years’ relevant work experience in a national administration, international organisation, a law firm or other relevant private sector company
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the EEA Agreement and relevant EU legislation
- Experience working with the EEA Agreement at the national or European level would be an asset.
- Excellent analytical skills and focus on results
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Self-reliance and autonomy, together with a facility for teamwork in a task-oriented environment
- Flexibility with a positive, service-minded, and proactive attitude
- Ability to draft legal texts and opinions concisely, clearly, and swiftly in English
- Proficient user of standard Microsoft Office software.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of at least one of the EFTA languages
- Knowledge of French would be an asset.
Annual salary: EUR 100,026.96
Appointments are made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the EFTA Secretariat wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
EFTA is an international organisation, and the salaries and related payments are normally exempt from income taxation by the EFTA States and the host states of the EFTA duty stations. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
Applicants must be nationals of one of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland).
Applicants must apply online via the EFTA e-recruitment tool. Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
For further information on this post, please contact:
Any questions about the application and selection process should be directed to HR.
Deadline for applications: 2 October 2022