Legal Officer in the EEA Coordination Division (ECD)
The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is an intergovernmental organisation set up for the promotion of free trade and economic integration to the benefit of its four Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States. In Brussels this entails support in the management of the EEA Agreement, in particular in ongoing decision making for the continuing evolution of the EEA Agreement.
The EEA Coordination Division consists of currently 17 staff members and is responsible for the overall coordination of general policy and legal EEA related activities, i.a. servicing the EEA Council, the EEA Joint Committee, the Standing Committee of the EFTA States, and the EFTA Parliamentary and Consultative Committees.
We are looking for a highly motivated and qualified lawyer who is willing to take on a challenging post in a dynamic environment.
This position is open to nationals of the EFTA Member States (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein).
The Legal Officer is a member of the EEA Coordination Division and plays a key role in providing the EEA EFTA States with legal assistance on horizontal issues relating to the EEA Agreement. The successful applicant will assume responsibility for the procedures and processes related to the incorporation of new EU legislation into the EEA Agreement, draft legal notes and provide legal advice to the EEA EFTA States.
The Legal Officer will assist the EFTA Subcommittee on legal and institutional questions (Subcommittee V) and the EFTA Standing Committee in these areas as needed.
The successful applicant may also be assigned other legal tasks in the Secretariat.
• Master’s degree in law.
- Approximately 3 or more years of relevant work experience preferably in a national administration, law firm or international organisation;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the EEA Agreement and relevant EU legislation;
- Experience working with the EEA Agreement either at the national or European level would be an asset.
- Sound knowledge of the EEA Agreement and its institutional structure;
- Excellent legal research and analytical skills;
- Ability to draft legal texts and opinions concisely, clearly and swiftly in the English language;
- Excellent organisational ability and facility for teamwork, including the ability to coordinate complicated projects with a team of highly qualified professionals in a dynamic, task-oriented and multi-cultural environment;
- Results-oriented approach, strong attention to detail, a productive and co-operative attitude, and good diplomatic, communication and social skills;
- Self-reliance, autonomy and ability to take initiative and deliver with short deadlines on sensitive issues under pressure.
- Excellent oral and written command of English;
- Knowledge of at least one of the EFTA languages;
- Knowledge of French would be an asset.
Annual salary: EUR 100,026
Appointments are normally made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the EFTA Secretariat wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
EFTA is an international organisation and the salaries and related payments are normally exempt from income taxation by the EFTA States and the host states of the EFTA duty stations. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
Applicants must be nationals of one of the EFTA Member States (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein).
Applicants must apply online via the EFTA e-recruitment tool. Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
For further information on this post, please contact:
On job content: Mr Finnur Thor Birgisson, Head of EEA Legal Coordination, firstname.lastname@example.org
On process: Ms Inga Hanna Gudmundsdottir, Head of HR, email@example.com
Technical issues: HR support, HR.firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions about the application and selection process should be directed to HR.
Deadline for application: 21 August 2022