Officer Trade Relations Division - TRD - VA 04/2021
The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland). EFTA has established preferential trade relations – primarily in the form of free trade agreements and joint declarations on cooperation – with more than 50 countries and territories outside the EU and is continuing to develop this worldwide network.
The Trade Relations Division (TRD) of the EFTA Secretariat in Geneva consists of 12 staff members. It provides comprehensive services related to the exploration, negotiation, administration and modernisation of EFTA’s preferential trade relations.
This position is open to nationals of one of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).
The officer will have substantive, analytical and organisational responsibilities in support of EFTA’s engagement with partner countries outside the European Union.
Her/his areas of responsibility will be international trade policy analysis, development of concepts and tools, elaboration of corresponding documents, as well as other tasks in the different areas covered by EFTA's free trade agreements. He/she will also participate and support EFTA Member States in negotiation processes including as desk officer for several partner countries.
- Advanced university degree, preferably in economics and/or law or political science with an international dimension;
- Specialisation in international trade policy, relevant international agreements and organisations, such as the WTO and EFTA would be an asset.
- Expertise in the field of international trade policy and rules, with sound knowledge of relevant international legal frameworks, in particular of the WTO;
- Track record in trade policy analysis and/or related research;
- Relevant work experience in international organisations, related research institutes, private sector, or national administration;
- Experience in project management;
- Expertise in trade in services and investment issues would be an asset.
- Excellent writing skills;
- Service-mindedness and tact;
- Very good communication and negotiation skills;
- Readiness to cooperate closely in an international team;
- Ability to work under time pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Strong organisational skills and self-reliance;
- Open-mindedness, proactivity and flexibility, including on work portfolio;
- Excellent Microsoft office skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint).
- Excellent oral and written command of English (EFTA working language);
- Knowledge of French, and possibly other work-related languages, would be an asset.
Annual salary: CHF 163,112
Appointments are normally made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the EFTA Secretariat wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
EFTA is an international organisation and the salaries and related payments are normally exempt from income taxation by the EFTA States and the host states of the EFTA duty stations. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
Applicants must be nationals of one of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).
Applicants must apply online via the e-recruitment tool. Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
For further information on this post, please contact:
On job content: Ms Krisztina Bende, Director TRD, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +41 22 332 26 30
On process: Ms Inga Hanna Gudmundsdottir, Head of HR, email@example.com, tel. +32 2 286 17 06
Technical issues: HR Support, HR.firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 22 March 2021