Traineeships at the EFTA Secretariat 2020-2021
The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is an intergovernmental organisation set up for the promotion of free trade and economic integration between its four Member States: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States. In Brussels this entails support in the management of the EEA Agreement.
We are looking for highly motivated and qualified trainee candidates to fill 7 traineeship positions. The online application tool is open now.
Deadline for application: 1 March 2020.
The aim of the traineeships is to provide junior civil servants and other qualified applicants with opportunities for training and familiarisation with the work and functions of the EFTA Secretariat.
Field of work
The trainees will be assigned to a specific division of the EFTA Secretariat according to the academic field of specialisation, personal preferences and career objectives.
Posts are offered within the following fields of work:
- Legal / Economics and General / Policy Coordination (SGO), Geneva
- Information / Communication (SGO), Brussels
- General / Policy Coordination (ECD), Brussels
- Legal Affairs (ECD), Brussels
- Legal / Policy Coordination (IMD), Brussels
- Statistical Cooperation (ESO), Luxembourg
A short overview of the activities of each division and the related trainee posts can be found here. Please read the document carefully before applying, you can consult the EFTA Secretariat website for more information.
Note that candidates need to specify their preferred field of work in the online application tool.
• Master's degree within law, economics, political science, international relations or other relevant and equivalent experience.
• Knowledge of standard office IT applications (Microsoft Office).
Work experience of 1-2 years in a governmental service and knowledge of the EEA agreement would be an advantage.
• An analytical mind with ability to draft good quality documents in English;
• A flexible and motivated team player and capable of taking on a wide variety of tasks, both complex and more basic.
• Fluency in both spoken and written English;
• Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
Traineeships at the EFTA Secretariat are open to nationals of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).
What we offer
• Trainees receive a monthly stipend of EUR 1 595 (if stationed in Brussels or Luxembourg), and of CHF 2 450 (if stationed in Geneva)
• Accommodation in individual furnished flats will be provided
• Health, life and invalidity and travel insurance cover
• Reimbursement of travel costs upon taking up and leaving the traineeship
• The opportunity to join language classes
Only applications submitted via the EFTA online recruitment tool will be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by phone and interviews are normally conducted via Skype in the weeks following the deadline.
Please be aware of the following:
• Your application will only be considered if you are a national of one of the EFTA Member States.
• All requested information on education, work experience, motivation, etc., should be filled in on the application form.
• Applications submitted by e-mail will not be taken into consideration.
In the interests of offering this valuable experience to as broad a pool of individuals as possible, former ESA, EFTA Court and EFTA Secretariat trainees will not be eligible to apply for this traineeship.
For any further information, please contact EFTA Human Resources:
Ms Zhasmin Kuneva, email@example.com, tel. +32 (0)2 286 17 09
Ms Catherine Vandeput, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +32 (0)2 286 17 75