Director of Administration
The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is an intergovernmental organisation set up for the promotion of free trade and economic integration to the benefit of its four Member States Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The Headquarters of the EFTA Secretariat in Geneva supplies services related to EFTA Council as governing body of the Organisation, as well as to free trade and co-operation agreements with third countries. The Brussels Secretariat provides support in managing the European Economic Area (EEA) Agreement. The Statistics division in Luxembourg provides support for the EFTA-EU co-operation in the field of statistics.
We are looking for a highly motivated and qualified candidate who is willing to take on the challenging post of Director of Administration. The successful candidate will report to the Secretary-General and work in close collaboration with all divisions of the EFTA Secretariat, the Financial Mechanism Office and national administrations in the EFTA States.
This position is open to nationals of the EFTA Member States.
The Administration Division is based in Brussels and provides internal services and support to the whole Organisation. The Director of Administration is responsible for the services of Finance, Human Resources, IT and Logistics, in accordance with the organisation’s strategy and goals.
The successful candidate will lead a team of 15 staff members and have the overall responsibility for the internal administrative services provided to the Secretariat. S/he will have a transversal role providing support to the five operational Divisions located in Geneva, Brussels, and Luxembourg, as well as to the Financial Mechanism Office of the EEA EFTA States in Brussels and therefore travels to all duty stations.
The function of Director of Administration at EFTA involves:
- Leadership and support of the different heads of teams (Finance, HR, IT) and co-ordination of all services;
- Internal Financial control and reporting to EFTA Senior Management and Member States;
- Assisting EFTA Senior Management in their decisions regarding personnel policies, staffing and financial planning and other strategic decisions;
- Representing the management towards the staff committee of the EFTA Secretariat for the current business;
- Extensive contacts with the Member States, other EFTA Organisations and the relevant authorities.
- Master degree or equivalent in Business or Public Administration, Finance or Economics.
- Several years of relevant experience in a managerial position, preferably in an international organisation;
- Proven record in the management of finance, human resources, IT and logistics;
- Successful record with project management.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to motivate an international team;
- Outstanding management skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to create and maintain good working relations in an international and multicultural environment;
- Open minded, pragmatic and solution oriented;
- Ability to draft and coordinate analytical reports and policy papers concisely and clearly in the English language;
- Good understanding of the EFTA structure and organisation.
- Excellent oral and written command of English;
- Knowledge of at least one of the EFTA languages;
- Knowledge of French or Dutch would be an asset.
Annual salary: Starting from EUR 128,385
Appointments are made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the EFTA Secretariat wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
EFTA is an international organisation and the salaries and related payments are normally exempt from income taxation by the EFTA States and the host states of the EFTA duty stations. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
Applicants must be nationals of one of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).
Applicants must apply via the EFTA e-recruitment tool: http://jobs.efta.int/
Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
For further information on this post, please contact:
Ms Inga Hanna Gudmundsdottir, Head of HR, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +32 2 286 17 06
Deadline for applications: 5 January 2020.