Senior Officer Finance - Administration
The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is an intergovernmental organisation set up for the promotion of free trade and economic cooperation between its four Member States: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, in Europe and globally. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States. In Brussels this entails support in the management of the EEA Agreement, in particular in ongoing decision making for the continuing evolution of the EEA Agreement, and the Geneva office manages the EFTA Convention and EFTA free trade agreements.
This position is open to nationals of the EFTA Member States (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein).
EFTA is recruiting a Senior Officer to become Head of the Finance department within the Administration division which is predominantly based in Brussels and provides internal services and support to the whole organisation.
The Head of Finance reports directly to the Director of Administration, leads a small team of two assistants and supervises the financial tasks of an Officer in Administration. The team is committed to excellence in its deliverables and responsibilities and works closely together with HR, IT and building services. The position entails working hands-on with budgets, accounting, controlling, financial reporting and forecasting, procurement, expense management, cash management and payrolling.
S/he is responsible for the day to day interpretation and execution of EFTA’s Financial Regulations and Rules and works with the Head of HR to ensure consistent application of the Staff Regulations and Rules on salaries, allowances, benefits and expenses.
S/he will be required to assist EFTA’s management in its contacts with national administrations in the duty stations as representatives of EFTA Member States, external service providers and auditors.
Main tasks include:
• Supervising and performing all financial operational and reporting activities of EFTA;
• Preparing EFTA’s annual budget;
• Liaising with chosen investment bank(s) on the staff savings fund;
• Liaising with insurance companies for all insurances for staff and the Secretariat;
• Reviewing and proposing updates to the Financial and Staff Regulations and Rules;
• Operating as adviser in larger purchases and making sure that these are made in accordance with EFTA’s procurement rules;
• Assisting the Financial Mechanism Office, legally part of EFTA, in all financial matters concerning their administrative budget and expenses;
• Representing EFTA in the workgroups involved with a relocation project.
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or other relevant fields.
• Minimum 8-10 years’ relevant professional experience in the public or private sector including in-depth proven experience in financial accounting and controlling;
• Experience in a managerial position, preferably in an international organisation or a national administration;
• Extensive experience in preparing budgets and managing budget compliance;
• Experience with reporting under IPSAS or IFRS accounting standards;
• Sound knowledge of and experience in using at least one accounting software package.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Detail-oriented with the ability to have an overall view of the organisation’s financial situation;
• Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to organise, motivate and work in a team;
• Excellent command of MS Excel, experience with MS Power BI (Power Query, Power Pivot, etc.) would be an advantage and furthermore good knowledge of other Microsoft Office software (SharePoint, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint).
• Experience with payrolling;
• Experience in framework / programme-based budgeting would be an asset;
• Experience in public procurement would be an asset.
Excellent command of written and spoken English (EFTA’s working language) and the ability to draft financial reports and other documents clearly and concisely. Knowledge of French and/or Dutch would be an asset.
Annual Salary: EUR 106,606
Appointments are made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the EFTA Secretariat wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
EFTA is an international organisation and the salaries and related payments are normally exempt from income taxation by the EFTA States and the host states of the EFTA duty stations. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
For further information about the post or the procedure, please contact:
Mr Adalsteinn Leifsson, Director of Administration, tel. +41 22 332 2610 or
Ms Inga Hanna Gudmundsdottir, Head of HR, tel. +32 2 286 17 06
Deadline for applications: 6 January 2019