Traineeship at the EFTA Secretariat - Trade Relations Division - Spring 2019
A traineeship for the spring term 2019 in the Trade Relations Division (TRD) at the EFTA Secretariat in Geneva is open for applications.
Deadline for application: 25 November 2018.
The aim of the traineeship is to provide civil servants and other qualified applicants with a background in customs opportunities for training and familiarisation with the work of the EFTA Secretariat, particularly in the area of free trade agreements.
Field of work
The TRD has responsibilities for the exploration, negotiation and implementation of preferential trade arrangements with non-EU partner countries.
The trainee will be assigned to specific tasks primarily in the field of trade in goods (e.g. customs, rules of origin, trade facilitation), including technical analyses on market access, review and amendments to customs tariff tables, notifications to partner countries, etc. Tasks pertaining to other fields of work covered by the TRD may occur.
Please consult the EFTA Secretariat website for more information on the activities in the area of free trade.
• Customs officials from national administrations of the EFTA States or candidates with a similar background and experience.
• Knowledge of standard office IT applications (Microsoft Office).
Work experience of at least 2 years in a relevant governmental service or similar experience.
• An analytical mind with ability to do relevant research and prepare documents in English.
• A flexible and motivated team player capable of taking on a variety of tasks.
• Fluency in both spoken and written English.
• Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Traineeships in TRD are reserved for customs officials from national administrations of the EFTA States or candidates with a similar background and experience.
• Traineeships at the EFTA Secretariat are open to nationals of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).
• Trainees receive a flat monthly allowance of CHF 2,425.
• Accommodation in an individual apartment is provided by EFTA.
Applications have to be submitted via the EFTA online recruitment tool. Shortlisted candidates are contacted by phone. Interviews are normally conducted via Skype.
Please be aware of the following:
• Your application will only be considered if you are a national of one of the EFTA Member States.
• All requested information on education, work experience, motivation, etc., should be filled in on the application form.
• Applications submitted by e-mail will not be taken into consideration.
In the interests of offering this valuable experience to as broad a pool of individuals as possible, former ESA, EFTA Court and EFTA Secretariat trainees will not be eligible to apply for this traineeship.