Assistant - Internal Market Division
The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is an intergovernmental organisation of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, set up for the promotion of free trade and economic integration between its members, within Europe and globally. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States and has offices in Geneva, Brussels and Luxembourg. The Brussels Secretariat provides support in managing the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA Agreement).
The Internal Market Division is one of three Divisions of the EFTA Secretariat in Brussels. The division consist of 22 staff members and is responsible for assisting the three EEA EFTA States with the preparatory work allowing for incorporation of EEA relevant EU legislation into the EEA Agreement.
The vacant position is to be one of the two assistants in the Internal Market Division and is open to nationals of all the EFTA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) and EU Member States.
The two assistants in the Internal Market Division play a central role and report to the Director of the Division. We are looking for a highly motivated team player who is willing to take on challenging tasks and provide extensive administrative support and assistance to the Division and its external partners while demonstrating a high level of independence, proactivity and responsibility.
The main tasks of the successful applicant will be the following:
• Assisting with the preparations of meetings, including drafting agendas and reports, producing statistics and overviews, editing and formatting documents
• Collection and coordination of input to various processes and documents from internal and external partners in the EFTA states and in the European institutions, ensuring quality and meeting deadlines
• Providing onsite support and managing logistical arrangements (internal and external) at and for meetings and seminars
• Proofreading of reports and other relevant documents
• Keeping up-to-date the contacts database and mailing lists
• Distribute, finalise and publish relevant documents, and update the EFTA website, portal (intranet) and extranet accordingly
• Close cooperation with and back up of other assistants as needed
• Handling of invoices and expenses
• Liaising internally with the Administration Division regarding absences and other practical matters
• Assisting the Director
The successful applicant must be willing to take on other tasks as required.
Education: Relevant university degree or diploma
• Minimum 5 years’ administrative work experience in an international environment
• Experience of editing and proofreading in English
• Experience of producing statistics and overview tables in Excel
• Experience in organising meetings and events
• Experience of having a coordinating role
• Excellent organisational, communication and problem-solving skills
• Comprehensive IT skills, including Microsoft Office and in particular Word and Excel
• Knowledge of document management and case-handling systems
• Positive and proactive attitude
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• An eye for detail and skilled multitasker
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Knowledge of French and any other EFTA/EU languages would be an asset
Annual salary: EUR 45,435
Appointments are normally made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised.
Salaries and related payments are exempt from taxation by the EFTA States, and as regulated in headquarters agreements, in the EFTA host states. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
For further information on this post, please contact:
Ms Brit Helle, Director GDD, tel. +32 2 286 17 40 or
Ms Katelijne Kenis, Acting Head of HR, tel. +32 2 286 17 09
Applicants must apply online via the EFTA e-recruitment tool. Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
Deadline for applications: 22 July 2018.