Legal Officer - FMO
The Financial Mechanism Office (FMO) is the secretariat of the EEA Grants and Norway Grants, and is affiliated to the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) in Brussels.
We are looking for a highly motivated and qualified candidate to take on the post of Legal Officer in the FMO.
The overall objectives of the Grants are to reduce economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area (EEA) and to strengthen bilateral relations between the Donor States (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and the 15 Beneficiary States (Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Hungary, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Malta, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia).
The Grants are based on a programme model where the Beneficiary States are responsible for the programmes and for projects implemented under the programmes. A few programmes, notably regarding Civil Society, Regional Cooperation and Decent Work, are operated by the FMO.
In the 2009-2014 funding period the grants allocated €1.8 billion to 148 programmes under which approximately 7000 projects were carried out. The programmes and projects under this funding period are now drawing to a close. The allocation for the new funding period (2014-2021) totals €2.8 billion. The priority sectors in the period 2014-2021 are:
• Innovation, Research, Education and Competitiveness;
• Social Inclusion, Youth Employment and Poverty Reduction;
• Environment, Energy, Climate Change and Low Carbon Economy;
• Culture, Civil Society, Good Governance and Fundamental Rights and Freedoms;
• Justice and Home Affairs.
The FMO offers an international, stimulating and diverse workplace, with a current staff of over 60 employees comprising 18 nationalities. Our values are: professionalism; cooperation; and trust, responsibility and respect. For more information please check our website at: www.eeagrants.org.
The position is open to nationals of the EEA EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and nationals of the member states of the European Union.
The Legal Officer provides legal advice and expertise on all aspects of the EEA and Norway Grants’ regulatory framework and in all aspects of the programme management of the EEA and Norway Grants. Additionally, the Legal Officer provides legal advice and expertise in any other work of the FMO as needed.
The Legal Officer will work in a team of five Legal Officers. S/he reports to the Head of Compliance and Administration Department.
• Participate in the work on the FMO’s regulatory framework;
• Provide legal expertise in programme assessment and implementation;
• Draft and review legal documents related to the programmes;
• Provide legal expertise regarding irregularity cases;
• Provide legal expertise in procurement;
• Contribute to the implementation of the FMO’s risk strategy; and
• Provide legal expertise in any other issues, including administrative issues.
The position involves travel.
University degree in law, Master’s level.
• Minimum of five years of relevant work experience;
• Experience in grant management or programme management;
• Experience with programme/grant management administered by the Donor States, by an international organization or by a public sector investment bank or experience with EU funds would be a distinct advantage;
• Knowledge of EU State Aid and/or Public Procurement legislation and practice would be an advantage.
• Ability to analyze complex legal issues and present them clearly;
• Ability to draft and review legal texts swiftly in English;
• Knowledge of EU and other relevant funding programmes;
• Knowledge of state aid and public procurement;
• Result-oriented approach, and a proactive and cooperative outlook;
• Diplomatic and negotiations skills;
• Good interpersonal skills, including a dynamic and flexible attitude, and cultural sensitivity;
• Self-reliance and autonomy, but also the skills needed for team work; and
• Ability to multitask and to work with tight deadlines.
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (the working language of the FMO) are a requirement. Fluency in any of the Donor State languages would be an advantage.
Annual starting salary: EUR 92,050
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the grade. The Director of the FMO reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the FMO wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
We offer a very interesting and challenging position in a dynamic and diverse environment and the opportunity to work in a team of highly qualified people. Salaries and related payments are exempt from taxation by the EFTA Member States, and as regulated in headquarters agreements, in the EFTA host states. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
For further information on this position please contact:
Mr Tom Tjomsland, Head of Compliance and Administration Department email@example.com, tel. +32 (0)2 211 18 09, Ms Reka Kenesei, Legal Officer firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +32 2 211 18 47 or Laura Harjapää, Head of Administration and HR Unit, email@example.com, tel. +32 2 211 18 60.
Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
Deadline for submission of application: 5 August 2018.
Please note that the interviews will take place in early September 2018.