Head of Finance and Control Unit - FMO
The Financial Mechanism Office (FMO) is the secretariat of the EEA Grants and Norway Grants, and is affiliated to the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) in Brussels.
We are looking for a highly motivated and qualified candidate to take on the post of Head of Finance and Control Unit.
The overall objectives of the Grants are to reduce economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area (EEA) and to strengthen bilateral relations between the Donor States (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and the 15 Beneficiary States (Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Hungary, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Malta, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia). The Grants are based on a programme model where the Beneficiary States are responsible for the programmes and for projects implemented under the programmes. A few programmes, notably regarding Civil Society, Regional Cooperation and Decent Work, are operated by the FMO.
In the 2009-2014 funding period the grants allocated €1.8 billion to 148 programmes under which approximately 7000 projects were carried out. The programmes and projects under this funding period are now drawing to a close. The allocation for the new funding period (2014-2021) totals €2.8 billion. The priority sectors in the period 2014-2021 are:
• Innovation, Research, Education and Competitiveness;
• Social Inclusion, Youth Employment and Poverty Reduction;
• Environment, Energy, Climate Change and Low Carbon Economy;
• Culture, Civil Society, Good Governance and Fundamental Rights and Freedoms;
• Justice and Home Affairs.
The FMO offers an international, stimulating and diverse workplace, with a current staff of over 60 employees comprising 18 nationalities. Our values are: professionalism; cooperation; and trust, responsibility and respect. For more information please check our website at: https://eeagrants.org/
The position is open to nationals of the EEA EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and nationals of the member states of the European Union.
The Head of Finance and Control Unit leads the work of seven Financial Officers. S/he oversees the financial management of the EEA and Norway Grants. S/he manages the development and maintenance of appropriate finance systems and the implementation of relevant procedures and controls at the FMO. S/he is responsible for the management, supervision and coaching of the staff of the Unit. S/he reports to the Head of Compliance and Administration Department.
• Manage the work of the Finance and Control Unit;
• Lead the Unit’s work on e.g. the following:
- Cash and liquidity management, including payment forecasts, replenishments and disbursements;
- Financial reporting;
- Provision of financial expertise in programme assessment and follow-up;
• Oversee the Unit’s participation in the implementation of the FMO’s risk management strategy;
• Coordinate the audits commissioned by FMO;
• Lead the FMO’s administrative budget process and liaise with the EFTA Secretariat on finance matters;
• Chair the Irregularities Committee;
• Manage the contacts with the EFTA Board of Auditors and the Norwegian Auditor General;
• Manage the contacts with the relevant Beneficiary State authorities.
The position involves travel.
Relevant University degree, Master’s level.
• Minimum of eight years of relevant work experience with experience in leading teams of financial officers/accountants.
• Experience in grant management, preferably in an international organisation.
• Knowledge of the financial management of publicly funded programmes;
• Knowledge of EU and other relevant funding programmes;
• Analytical skills and ability to make sound decisions;
• Ability to draft reports and analytical papers, and ability to present complex financial issues clearly and convincingly;
• Proven organisational and administrative skills, and ability to work effectively with staff from diverse cultural backgrounds;
• Result-oriented approach, and a proactive and cooperative outlook;
• Diplomatic and negotiations skills;
• Good interpersonal skills, including a dynamic and flexible attitude, and cultural sensitivity;
• Self-reliance and autonomy, but also the skills needed for team work; and
• Ability to multitask and to work with tight deadlines.
Good oral and written communication skills in English (the working language of the FMO).
Annual starting salary: 106,606 EUR
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the grade. The Director of the FMO reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the FMO wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
We offer a very interesting and challenging position in a dynamic and diverse environment and the opportunity to work in a team of highly qualified people. Salaries and related payments are exempt from taxation by the EFTA Member States, and as regulated in headquarters agreements, in the EFTA host states. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
For further information on this position please contact:
Mr Tom Tjomsland, Head of Compliance and Administration Department email@example.com tel. +32 (0)2 211 18 09 and Ms Elise Oukka, Head of Finance and Control Unit firstname.lastname@example.org tel. +32 (0)2 211 18 54.
Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
Deadline for submission of application: 7 June 2018.
Please note that the interviews are tentatively scheduled for 20 and 21 June 2018.